REL ACOUSTICS - S3
S/3 derives from the flagship S/5 and offers a more compact footprint and much of S/5 performance for use with either slightly more modest systems or rooms that cannot handle the power and output of S/5. Qualitatively, it is the equal of S/5, sans the grand scale, power and majesty of its larger sibling. Beautifully balanced, S/3 offers powerful, incisive and beautifully balanced performance.
S/3’s driver features an all-new alloy cone structure that takes a mid-level product to a performance that exceeds REL’s reference products of only a few years ago. By reducing moving mass, with a balanced approach to design, REL’s engineering team was able to produce far more speed than prior designs. By carefully adjusting key parameters, REL was able to increase the self-quieting key to a high-end component’s ability to resolve space and inner detail. Improvements in designs translate into enhancement in your entire system.
S/3 uses a special carbon/carbon passive that is stiff, lightweight and incredibly well behaved. REL’s approach to passive design results in performance more akin to a variable ratio driver size. On an S/3, think of it as a sliding ratio design wherein the S/3 begins as an ultra-fast 10” sealed box design and, as more power and deeper bass is demanded S/3 gradually morphs into the power and output of a 15” design.
Beyond proprietary drivers, unique input filters and amplifiers determine the performance of a REL. REL S/3 uses a simple filter-type that is very fast—about 8 milliseconds in-group delay– to cross out unwanted higher frequencies to our driver. This speed and carefully sorted filters allow for seamless blending of RELs with the main speakers. REL does not include a high pass filter to cross out bass from the main speaker because to do so, would generally produce more unwanted effects than the minor benefits such a design confers.
S/3’s power amplifier is a powerful NextGen2 400W digital amplifier. This design has powered thousands of RELs and has proven exceptionally reliable and very fast with deep, extended lows—it provides a perfect mate to REL’s new driver.
Features and Specs:
• Type: Front-firing active woofer, down-firing passive radiator
• Active Drive Unit: 10 in., 250mm long-throw, Continuous Cast Alloy™ cone structure
• Passive Radiator: 12 in., 300mm
• Lower Frequency Response In Room: 22Hz at -6 dB
• Input Connectors: Hi Level Neutrik Speakon, Left and Right Lo Level phono, LFE phono, SMA
for wireless antenna
• Gain Control Range: 80 dB
• Power Output: 400 watts (RMS)
• Phase Switch: Yes, 0 or 180 degrees
• Amplifier Type: Next Gen II Class D
• REL Longbow Wireless Capability: Yes – REL Longbow™ transmitter [required], Sold separately
• Fully Electronic with SAFE-SET: Yes
• D.C. Fault: Yes
• Output Short: Yes
• Mains Input Voltage: 220-240 volts, 110-120 volts for certain markets
• Fuses (semi delay): 5 Amp 220 volts operation, 9 Amp 120 volts operation
• Dimensions (W x H x D)*: 16 x 16.7 x 18.25 in., (406 x 424 x 463.5 mm)
• Net Weight: 61.4 lbs. (27.85 kg)
• Shipping Weight: 71 lbs. (32.2 kg)
• Finish (Gloss): Piano Black or White Lacquer
• Mains Lead: Yes
• Neutrik Speakon Interconnect 10 Meters Nominal: Yes
MSRP $ 1,999.00 – S/3
If you are interested in this product, have questions, or want to schedule an audition, please call 1-714-630-4100.