VAC PHI 200 POWER AMPLIFIER
Although VAC’s smallest and least expensive power amplifier, the Phi 200 yields fidelity sound far superior to any of our previous award-winning instruments. Through careful voicing and quality control, the “jump” factor of the sound suggest far more than the measured 100+ watts per channel. With the flip of a switch, the input circuit is rewired from a single-ended input to fully balanced operation; another switch converts it from stereo operation into a true monoblock for greater power and control.
The 90-pound VAC Phi 200 is a 100+-watt-per-channel version of the VAC Phi 300.1a, also user-switchable to 200+ watt mono operation. Both fully balanced and single-ended input modes are supported; by switch setting, the front-end circuitry is rearranged to be correct and optimal for the selected mode. The ability of the user to set the amplifier for stereo or mono operation allows both freedom of application (bi-amp one day, monoblocks the next) and the ability to pace the development of their system. One can start with one Phi 200 in stereo mode today, and add a second one later for additional power and true monoblock performance.
Discreet amber indicator lights tell you when the output tubes are biased for ideal sound. The rugged 2.4 mm non-magnetic chassis is beautifully complimented by the lacquered 9.5 mm fascia. The massive power transformer is fully potted to assure quiet operation. A 12-volt trigger is provided.
The Phi 200’s wideband power is developed using the KT88 beam power vacuum tube, exploited to fullest advantage by custom wound 21 section output transformers, each weighing 14 pounds. The Class A direct-coupled low-mu triode input and driver stages are those developed for the Phi 300. The combination results in fast, full, detailed sound.
Both fully balanced and single-ended input modes are supported; by switch setting, the front-end circuitry is rearranged to be correct and optimal for the selected mode.
Features and Specs:
• Wattage: 100+ stereo into 2, 4, and 8 ohms, 200+ mono mode
• Gain: 37 dB, SE, 31 dB, balanced
• Frequency Response: 4 Hz to 75 kHz
• Power Bandwidth: 13 Hz to 70 kHz
• Inputs: Single-ended input via RCA jack, non-inverting XLR balanced
• Outputs: Connections to precisely match loudspeaker loads of 2, 4, and 8 ohms
• Tubes: 4x KT88, 4x 6SN7
• Residual Noise: Typically, 700 microvolts at the speaker terminals
• Voltage: May be factory configured for operation at 100, 120, 220, or 230/240 volts
• Power Cord: Detachable power cord, standard IEC power receptacle
• Illumination: Illuminated logo may be switched off
• 12-Volt Trigger: included
• Finish: Lacquered 9.5 mm. fascia (black or silver)
• Warranty: Two years parts and labor, excluding tubes (USA). See manual for full details
• Dimensions (H x W x D): Audio chassis (not including knobs and connectors): 8.75 x 17.8 x 17.8 in.
(22.2 x 45.2 x 45.2 cm.)
• Shipping Weight: 90 lbs. (40.9 kg.)
MSRP $ 11,000.00 – PHI 200
If you are interested in this product, have questions, or want to schedule an audition, please call 1-714-630-4100.